Communique issued at the end of the 71st meeting of the APRM Panel
MAY 10, 2015 - Press release
APRM CommunicationPosted: MAY 10, 2015
Johannesburg, South Africa, 29-30 April 2015 - The 71st meeting of the APR Panel of Eminent Persons (APR Panel) was held on 29–30 April 2015. Ambassador Fatuma Ndangiza, Chairperson of the APR Panel, presided over the meeting.
The following members of the Panel attended the meeting: Ambassador Ashraf Rashed (Vice-Chairperson), Dr. Mustapha Mekideche, Hon. Joseph Tsang Mang Kin, Professor Al-Amin Abu-Manga and Professor Mahamoud Youssouf Khayal, Hon. Brigitte Sylvia Mabandla and Chief (Mrs) Chinyere E. Asika.
Highlights of the Meeting:
1. The 71st Meeting of the APR Panel of Eminent Persons observed a moment of silence for the late South African Focal Point, Honorable Collins Chabane and expressed condolence to the APRM Interim CEO, Dr. Assane Mayaki on the passing of his mother.
2. The Meeting officially welcomed the new Panel Members, Hon. Brigette Mabandla from South Africa and Nigeria’s Chief (Mrs) Chinyere E. Asika.
3. It also conducted an introduction and induction session for the New Panel Members. The session focused on the overview presentation of the APRM, its missions, process and lessons learnt. The responsibilities of Panel Members and their entitlements were also outlined during the session.
4. The Meeting further congratulated and commended Nigeria and Sudan for holding successful and generally peaceful elections.
5. The APR Panel Meeting condemned the terrorist attacks in Kenya and Nigeria and expressed sympathy with the victims of the regrettable Xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
6. During the meeting Hon. Brigitte Mabandla, Amb. Ashraf Rashed and Prof. Mahamoud Khayal were nominated to form a subcommittee whose role is to advise the Panel on how to handle Emerging Political Issues in the Continent.
The Panel adopted the Minutes of its 70th Meeting as well as the Report of the APRM Secretariat and considered the following among other Agenda items:
Reports of the Panel Sub-committees.
Report on activities undertaken by Panel Members since the 70th Panel Meeting.
Secretariat Report by the Interim CEO.
Consideration of approval of the Regional Workshop in SADC.
Consideration of the Djibouti Review Mission.
Election of the New Panel Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the APR Panel.
The Planning, Programming and Institutional Relations Sub-committee presented the following:
- Discussed the state of affairs at the APRM Secretariat. It reviewed the status of the execution of Programmatic and Operational Activities as depicted in the 2015/16 Work-plan.
- The Planning, Programming and Institutional Relations Sub-committee recommended that the following measures are put in place to mobilize funds for the Mechanism:
o Panel Chair to engage the Chairperson of the Forum regarding the dire financial state of the APRM;
o the APRM to host a financial conference with stakeholders in an effort to mobilize funds;
o engage the private sector to play a role in advocating for the Mechanism.
- The Panel subcommittee on Planning, Programming and Institutional Relations further discussed the urgency to accelerate the study of the needs analysis for the implementation of the APRM Knowledge Management Hub.
The Communication and Publications Sub-committee came up with the following;
- Reviewed the draft 2014 Annual Report, though factual, it must still be thoroughly edited to avoid errors;
- The Annual Report will include information on programmatic activities due to financial difficulties in implementing the work plan activities;
- The Report should include the Report on Financial Contributions by Member States;
- Welcomed the progress in revamping the APRM website.
The Sub-committee further commended the Communications Team for the continued improvements in their activities.
The Transition and Rules of Procedure Sub-committee reported on the following:
- The implications of the transition process on Panel Members and staff permits and contracts. As such the Subcommittee requested the Secretariat to prepare a working paper on this issue;
- The subcommittee recommended that the issue of staff contracts be resolved, as it has a bearing on the staff resident permits in South Africa;
- It further instructed the Secretariat to draft a paper on the integration modalities in consultation with the NEPAD. The paper should present various integration scenarios based on several types of integration models;
- The subcommittee further noted that it is important for the Panel to know how the Focal Point Adhoc Committee on Recruitment will deal with the current financial situation in as far as the pending appointments of the CEO and four Divisional Heads.
- The Subcommittee also reported that the APRM has completely delinked from the DBSA.
The 72nd Meeting of the APR Panel of Eminent Persons will be held on 10-11 June 2015, in South Africa.