Communique issued at the end of the 67th Meeting of the APR Panel
APRM CommunicationsPosted: May 08, 2015
The 67th Meeting of the APR Panel of Eminent Persons was held on 29 and 30 May 2014 in Pretoria, South Africa. Ambassador Fatuma Ndangiza, Chairperson of the APR Panel, presided over the meeting, which was designed to move ahead with new zeal and optimism.
The following members of the Panel of Eminent Persons (APR Panel) attended the meeting: Ambassador Mohamed Ashraf Rashed (Vice-Chairperson), Dr. Mustapha Mekideche, Mr. Joseph Tsang Mang Kin, Professor Al-Amin Abu-Manga Mohamed and Prof. Mahamoud Youssouf Khayal.
Highlights of the Meeting:
- The 67th Meeting of the APR Panel of Eminent Persons paid tribute to the late Panel Member, Ambassador Professor Okon Edet Uya. The Panel acknowledged that, during his tenure Ambassador Professor Okon Edet Uya distinguished himself as a committed Member of the Panel. The Meeting reiterated the fact that Ambassador Professor Uya made significant contributions to the APRM Process in his capacity as the Lead Panel Member in charge of Lesotho, São Tome & Principe, South Africa and Uganda.
- The Meeting congratulated the former Panel Member from South Africa, Ms. Baleka Mbete, who has been elected Speaker of the South African Parliament.
- It congratulated H.E. Jacob Zuma, President of the Republic of South Africa, on his reelection as the country’s President during the 2014 General Elections. The Meeting further commended the People of South African for holding successful and generally peaceful elections.
- The Meeting also expressed its appreciation of the successful presidential elections in Algeria and Egypt.
The Meeting deliberated on the following among other items:
- Preparations for the 21st Summit of the APR Forum scheduled for June 2014 in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea;
- Preparations for the Retreat between the APR Panel and the Strategic Partners of the APRM and cooperation with regional and international institutions;
- Review of the APRM Strategic Plan for 2014-2016.
- Outline of the APRM Activities to be carried out in 2014-2015;
- Consideration of the Report on the activities undertaken by the APR Panel Members;
- The success of the first APRM Regional Workshop held in Chad on 15 and 16 May 2014, thanks to the commitment and support from H.E. Idriss Déby, President of Chad, the People of Chad, the Participants, the Focal Point and the National Commission on Governance;
- The commitment of the current Chairperson of the African Union Assembly and President of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, H.E. Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, to the APRM process in his country.
Three APR Panel Sub-committees held meetings on the margins of the 67th Panel Meeting. The Sub-committees are:
- Communications and Publications (chaired by Mr. Joseph Tsang Mang Kin),
- Planning, Programming and Institutional Relations (chaired by Dr. Mustapha Mekideche).
- Transitions and Rules of Procedure (chaired by Ambassador Fatuma Ndangiza).
Highlights of the Sub-committee Meetings
- Communications and Publications
- Approved the Terms of Reference for the Sub-committee;
- Discussed dynamic strategies to promote outreach and advocacy of the Mechanism.
Planning, Programming and Institutional Relations
- Agreed to prioritize countries that are yet to undergo the peer review process;
- Agreed to engage Focal Points and Heads of State and Government to assist in advancing and deepening the peer review process.
- Transition and Rules of Procedure
Approved the Terms of Reference for the Sub-committee;
- Discussed the “Integration of APRM into the African Union System”, which has been included in the June 2014 Summit Agenda;
- Emphasized the need to expedite the signing of the Host Country Agreement;
- Discussed the APRM Secretariat Staff Recruitment Exercise. The Focal Points Committee has set up an Ad hoc Group on Recruitment to handle the APRM recruitment process. The Panel emphasized the need for its involvement in the recruitment process particularly in the selection of the CEO and the Coordinators;
- Recommended the reinforcement of collaboration with the APRM Committee of Focal Points.
The 68th Meeting of the APR Panel of Eminent Persons will be held on the margins of the 21st Summit of the APR Forum in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.
APR Panel Meeting Communique
Leave your comment
APRM - SADC Collaboration on G ...
UNECA and APRM Annual Consulta ...
Expert Group Meeting: The Cont ...
61st Ordinary Session of the A ...